2020 Minors tryout Details
The tryouts for Minors are scheduled for Saturday, February 1st, on the turf field at Hall Middle School in Larkspur. All league age 8 players are to attend the tryouts as well for evaluation purposes. There will not be a separate rookie evaluation before team assignment.
PLEASE READ THIS EMAIL CAREFULLY BEFORE EMAILING TO SAVE TIME.
IMPORTANT: Please email Paul Gehrman (email@example.com) if you cannot make tryouts so that we know your player still wants to be on a Minors team.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
The Minors Division is primarily for players who are “League Age” 9 and 10 years old. Highly skilled 8 year olds can also be drafted on to a Minors team if their baseball skills are exceptional, and it is determined that they can compete with the older kids. Please review the following age chart to determine the “League Age” of your player:
Birth Date League Age
September 1, 2011 – August 31, 2012 8
September 1, 2010 – August 31, 2011 9
September 1, 2009 – August 31, 2010 10
- If you have a player who is League Age 8 who wants to play in the Rookie Division, we ask that you nevertheless attend tryouts so that we can evaluate your player’s skills. We strongly encourage all League Age 9 year olds (even those with weak skills) to play in Minors so that they are with their peer group.
- There is no guarantee that League Age 8 year olds will be drafted on to a Minors team. League Age 8 year olds who are not drafted by a Minors team will be placed on a Rookie team.
- All players will be placed on a team; there are no “cuts”. The tryouts are designed to help the league create teams of equal strength so that the year is more competitive and enjoyable for all players.
- Format: rain permitting, we put players through various fielding, fly ball catching, batting, pitching (optional), and running drills. Once the player has finished his/her drills, he/she is free to leave.
TRYOUT SESSIONS: Due to the large number of players, tryouts are organized by session, based on age and last name:
Session 1: 9:00 am to 10:15 am – All League-Age 8-year olds ONLY
League Age 9 and 10 Sessions:
Session 2: 10:15 am to 11:30 am – Last Names A to G
Session 3: 11:30 am to 12:45 pm – Last Names H to P
Session 4: 12:45 pm to 2:00 pm – Last Names Q to Z
CHECK-IN: Please arrive 15 minutes BEFORE your session starts to facilitate check-in & for warm-ups. To repeat: once a player has finished his/her drills, he/she is free to leave.
Here are answers to common questions:
- Can my player come to a different session?
Session 1 is ONLY for League Age 8 year olds. League Age 9 and 10 year olds can attend Session 2, 3, or 4 (not based on Last Name), but only if absolutely necessary. You don’t need to alert us in advance, just show up.
- Is there a Make-Up Day?
There is NO make-up day for tryouts.
- What if my player cannot attend?
If a player is absent from tryouts, he/she will be assigned randomly to a team unless he/she is well known to several coaches and can be slotted accurately in the Draft.
IMPORTANT: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you cannot make tryouts so that we know your player still wants to be on a Minors team.
- What should my player wear?
Players should be dressed for baseball, with baseball pants, glove and cap.
- When are teams selected?
Team selections will be made on Monday, February 3rd at the Minors Draft. Players will be notified of their team assignment promptly thereafter.
If you have any questions, or if you player cannot make tryouts, please email the Minor League Rep, Paul Gehrman at email@example.com.